Skip to content

IRS Phone Number: Speak to Human Customer Service and Avoid the Bots

IRS Phone Number: Speak to Live Customer Service and

The main IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but you could also get the help you need by calling these other IRS phone numbers.

The main IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, however, that’s not the only number you can call for help or to talk to a real person. Here is a list of other IRS phone numbers you can call to get in touch with the right people.

We’ve also added links to some of our articles, which could save you a phone call.

How to contact IRS customer service

You can call the main IRS number (open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time), but one of these lesser-known numbers might get you help faster.

Self-employed taxpayers with questions about their accounts or tax law 800-829-4933 Learn more about this topic
Identity and refund theft victims; get a new IP PIN 800-908-4490 Learn more about this topic
Missing child tax credit payments 800-908-4184 Learn more about this topic
Disaster victims 866-562-5227 Learn more about this topic
Overseas taxpayers 267-941-1000 Learn more about this topic
Balance due questions 800-829-0922; 800-829-7650; 800-829-3903 Learn more about this topic
Estate and gift tax questions 866-699-4083 Learn more about this topic
Excise tax questions 866-699-4096
Help with business tax return 800-829-0115
Report phishing and other scams, and check if the name and badge number of an IRS agent are real. 800-366-4484 Learn more about this topic
Check status of a tax refund 800-829-1954 Learn more about this topic
Check status of a tax refund being held 866-897-3315
Check status of an amended tax return 866-464-2050 Learn more about this topic
Order a tax transcript 800-908-9946
Make a payment using Electronic Federal Tax Payment System English: 800-555-4477 Spanish: 800-244-4829
Report incorrect income on a substitute return 866-681-4271
Verify, payoff or resolve a tax lien 800-913-6050
See if bankruptcy changed your tax debt 800-973-0424 Learn more about this topic
Innocent spouse relief 866-681-4271
See which debts will offset your tax refund 800-304-3107 (866-297-0517 TTY/TDD) Learn more about this topic
Help getting an Employer Identification Number 800-829-4933 Learn more about this topic
Lost ITIN documents 800-908-9982
Status of application for Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number 737-800-5511 Learn more about this topic
Taxpayer Advocate Service 877-777-4778
International Taxpayer Advocate English: 787-522-8601 Spanish: 787-522-8600
Tax assistance for the hard of hearing (TTY/TDD) 800-829-4059
Schedule an appointment with a local IRS office 844-545-5640
Whistleblower hotline 800-829-0433
Ask IRS to mail you paper tax forms 800-829-3676
Find a free tax clinic near you 800-906-9887; 888-227-7669


Tax preparers and tax pros with account or tax law questions 800-829-8374
Tax preparers and tax experts with e-filing questions 866-255-0654
Tax practitioner priority service 866-860-4259
Overseas tax professionals 512-416-7750; 267-941-1000
Corporate taxpayers, partnerships and nonprofits 866-255-0654
Nonprofits with tax law or filing questions 877-829-5500
Government and tax-exempt entities 877-829-5500
International businesses that want an Employer Identification Number (EIN) 267-941-1099
Domestic employers, payers and transmitters who need e-filing tech support 866-455-7438
International employers, payers and transmitters who need e-filing tech support 304-263-8700

Other ways to get in touch with a real person at the IRS

You can try these ways to get help in your area.

Visit your local IRS office

In every state, the IRS has what are called Taxpayer Assistance Centers, or TACs. Click on your state on the list of Taxpayer Assistance locations to see where they are and how to contact them. Most of the time, you can’t just walk into your local IRS office whenever you want. You have to set up a meeting. The number for the IRS is 844-545-5640.

You might want to call the Taxpayer Advocate Service

The IRS has a group called the Taxpayer Advocate Service that helps people with tax problems they can’t solve on their own. Every state has at least one local Taxpayer Advocate Service center that is separate from the local IRS office and reports to the national Taxpayer Advocate Service. Here, you can find the addresses and phone numbers for all of the Taxpayer Advocate Service offices in your area.

Beware of IRS phone scams

You can call any IRS phone number you want, but the IRS will rarely call you. Most of its contacts, such as requests for payment, are made through the U.S. Postal Service. In certain situations, the agency will call or go to a person’s home or business.

  • A person’s tax bill is past due.
  • To secure a delinquent tax return.
  • To secure a delinquent employment tax payment.
  • To look around a business as part of an audit or while looking into a crime.

Here’s how to spot and avoid tax scams. The IRS is not:

  • Call you to demand payment.
  • Start talking to you through email, text, or social media.
  • Ask you to pay your taxes with prepaid cards, gift cards, or wire transfers.
  • Threaten to call the police, immigration officers, or other people to come and arrest you.
  • Take away your driver’s license, your business license, or your status as an immigrant.
Rate this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Amber Watson

Amber Watson